Ph.D. Candidate, Materials Science & Engineering UC Berkeley, 2022
Advisor: Kristin Persson
Focus: Machine Learning, Photocatalysts, CO2RR
Berkeley, California, USA
M.S. Materials Science & Engineering, UC Berkeley, 2019
Advisor: Peidong Yang
Focus: Phase Transitions, Photonics, Fundamental Material Properties
Berkeley, California, USA. GPA: 3.5.
B.S. Chemical Engineering (Nanotechnology), University of Southern California, 2017
Advisor: Andrea Armani
Focus: Optically cleavable polymers
Los Angeles, California, USA
Kristin Persson Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
Project: High-Throughput Density Functional Theory for Photocatalysis for CO2 Reduction
Peidong Yang Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
Project: 2D Perovskite Nanoplates Self Assembly (publication)
Project: Langmuir Blodgett Assembly of Perovskite Nanowires (publication)
Project: [email protected]: Phase Transition
Project: Lead free perovskite (publication)
National Center for Electron Microscopy, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley, CA
Project: Tecnai Microscope, EELS, HR-TEM, Focal Series
Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, Berkeley, CA
Project: SAXS/WAXS – Beamline 7.3.3
Andrea Armani Research Group, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
Project: Characterize a polymerization reaction with various variables and solvents with a UV cleavable base.
Project: Add a nano-porous sol gel layer on silica, characterize it, and analyze it to see if it is feasible. If it is feasible, attempt to add layer on integrated micro-toroids.
Project: Synthesize beta-Heamatin particle (present in patients with Malaria) for Malaria diagnostic device.
Institute of Microelectronics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
Project: To figure out application for a novel molybdenum sulfide (MoS2) nano structure
Yong Liu, Martin Siron,…, Peidong Yang. “Self-assembly of Two-dimensional Perovskite Nanosheet BuildingBlocks into Ordered Ruddlesden-Popper Perovskite Phase” J Am. Chem. Soc. 2019
Hao Liu, Martin Siron, …, Peidong Yang. “Lead halide perovskite nanowires stabilized by block copolymers for Langmuir-Blodgett assembly” Nano Research 2020
Jianmei Huang, Teng Lei, Martin Siron, …, Peidong Yang “Lead-free Cesium Europium Halide Perovskite Nanocrystal” ACS Nano Letters 2020.
National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship Program
National Academy of Engineering, Grand Challenge Scholar
University of Southern California, Presidential Scholar
Charles J. Rebert Award for Outstanding Service
Rose Hills, Research Fellowship
University of Southern California, Provost Fellow (Received: Summer 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017)
O4U Engineering Fellow
University of Southern California, Undergraduate Research Assistant Fellowship
Seely Mudd Scholarship
Graduate Assembly, UC Berkeley
2020-2021 Vice President of Finance (Daily Cal Coverage)
2017-2018 Materials Science & Engineering Delegate
2018-2019 Materials Science & Engineering Delegate
2019-2020 Materials Science & Engineering Delegate
Materials Science & Engineering Graduate Student Council, UC Berkeley
AIChE, Chapter at USC
- Implemented Chem-E only Career Fair initiative which helped to grow organization by over 150% and secured new sponsors for more programing.
- Managed $22,000 budget.
- Implemented the Chem-E car competition at USC.
- Extensively planned to create a car by 2016 for regional competition.
- Performed research on various fuel types and proposed a budget to Viterbi to get funding for Chem-E Car Team.
- Inspired 20 active members to join and build a car on weekly rotations and grew club to 70 members within one year
- Competed at Regional Competition in Riverside, CA
- Created research poster for poster competition
CONFERENCES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Martin Siron, Madhav Gupta. “Traveler: USC Chem-E Car Team.” American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Western Conference. Chem-E Car Poster Competition. Riverside, California. April 2016, Poster.
- Martin Siron, Michele Lee, Eda Gungor, Andrea M. Armani. “Tuning Cleaving Kinetics of Photo-Responsive Polymers via Solvent-Polymer Interactions.” American Institute of Chemical Engineers National Conference, San Francisco, 2016, Poster.
- Martin Siron, “Tuning Cleaving of Photo-Responsive Smart Polymer via Solvent-Polymer Interaction.” 12th Mork Research Symposium, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA. Poster.
Programming Languages: Python, Java
Computational Materials: VASP, PyMatgen, Atomate, Fireworks
Machine Learning: TensorFlow (Keras wrapper), SKLearn’s SVMs
Data Analysis: Python with MatPlotLib & Seaborn & Plotly, Origin Pro
Software: Autodesk Inventor, Adobe Creative, Blender/Maya
Spoken Languages: French (Native), English (Native)